Steve Scauzillo

It's not easy being green A look at environmental topics from the perspective of environmental reporting.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Better get used to it''

I am about to be an empty nester.
My youngest son, who is 17 and a half, will go to UC Irvine this Sunday. He will be a freshman. And he will be on his own for the first time. Our oldest son is at UC Berkeley in his second year there.

Empty nester.
It sounds so cliche.
But I am afraid it is real.

"You better get used to it," said my wife the other day when we sat down for dinner, just the two of us. "I mean, get ready for it ..."

She was pointed, firm. Yet encouraging in her way. She knows I am not a "getting used to it" kind of person. Let me explain. I usually come up the cliff going like 90 mph then slam on the breaks and go: "Oh, is that a dropoff?" I knew that was coming but I did not prepare emotionally.

So, there I go. About ready to go off an emotional parent cliff. And I haven't hit the brakes yet.

OK, I am trying. I went out to dinner with my youngest son and had a talk about being on his own. About being smart, making good choices, the whole dad-son bonding thing. Well, not bonding, more like unbonding. More like leaving.

He was responsive. And he is a very mature 17 and a half year-old so that makes me feel a little better about him going off to college.

But I will miss him. And I will, I know, have to get used to it.

3 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting we've had an empty nest four 4 years our daughter Lisa graduates from UCI in June then on to east coast and Harvard.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban, louboutin, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, lancel, valentino shoes, reebok outlet, mont blanc pens, ralph lauren, nike trainers uk, bottega veneta, new balance shoes, nike air max, soccer shoes, beats by dre, mcm handbags, celine handbags, vans outlet, nike air max, p90x workout, chi flat iron, oakley, hollister, north face outlet, herve leger, longchamp uk, north face outlet, hollister, vans, instyler, timberland boots, hollister clothing, jimmy choo outlet, soccer jerseys, iphone cases, hermes belt, insanity workout, gucci, mac cosmetics, baseball bats, babyliss, nike huaraches, ghd hair, nfl jerseys, converse, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, converse outlet, lululemon, ferragamo shoes

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, links of london, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, karen millen uk, ugg uk, moncler, supra shoes, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, canada goose, thomas sabo, moncler, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, coach outlet, canada goose uk, ugg, replica watches, pandora jewelry, hollister, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, canada goose jackets, moncler, pandora uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, doudoune moncler, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, swarovski, toms shoes, moncler outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home